Languages for Space 1889
Only languages that were referenced in Space 1889 resources are listed.
- North America
These are mostly languages of the Canal Martians, of which there are over
200. The languages in bold are the only languages likely to be encountered
in the British colony.
- Hellan - spoken by the southern kingdoms in the Hellas Basin.
- Khallan - dialect spoken by engineers and craftsmen. Now
- Koline - Martian trade language. It is a primitive language.
- Noachan - spoken by city-states north of the Noachis Highlands
- High Oenotrian - spoken by cities of the Oenotrian
Empire and the neutral city-states of Syrtis Major.
- Low Oenotrian
- Parhooni/Gaaryani - language of northern half of Syrtis
Major. With English, this is the
official language of the British Crown Colony of Syrtis Major. Parhooni
is the English name; Gaaryani is the Martian name of this language.
- Son-Gaaryani - Old Gaaryani, the archaic dialect of Seldon's empire
- Umbran - spoken in the city-states of the Boreosyrtis League.
It bears no resemblence to Parhooni or Gaaryani.